Wednesday, May 9

Ruby.


So, I wrote this little excerpt from my head : 

I came running towards it. 
Its blood red exterior nearly blinded me. But I knew that nothing could distract me this time. Because this was The time. The time to puncture its throbbing heart. Its tentacle laced back gleamed and stared at my nervous yet determined face. 
I always knew it was me, I was the one with the ultimate responsibility of perforating its scaly skin and then finally ending the misery of our little tribe’s torment. 
But as I hurriedly climbed crushing the green dew laden strands of the hill, flashes struck me. I could see moments of my training with my father and how his eyes were filled with hope. No, it didn’t deter me, but brought on more of inspiring flickers. I could also suddenly hear the villagers encouraging me to go kill it. It too was a recall. A recall of the moment when I was parting from my village and the sanguine mothers who had were protecting their new ones from the harsh winter roars. I didn’t hear a word from my father, but his reassuring and expectant eyes bid me my final farewell. 
As I finally leaped to butcher Ruby, it turned back and inspected the puny body aiming towards it and glanced into my eyes. Those lush pink seas which I was ogling into too seemed to explain each slay they involuntarily had committed, including the one of my mother’s. Yet they failed to convince me. 
Again, my mind ran the entire conversation of how I was the One who had to pull out our community of barely a hundred out of their never-ending misery. And how I, being the elder brother must shoulder the task to defeat the beast. Also how Adrian, who was merely seventeen and my closest companion, must not accompany his cousin on this mission. 
Moments later I could feel the iron rod pierce the lusty red leather and finally reach the giant’s pumping organ. 
It thundered and shrieked as my weapon fulfilled its noble duty. For a moment after that I thought I had gone deaf as all I could see was the mammoth crumble to the Earth but not experience its bellow. Probably two. 
Seconds later I found myself on top of the planet’s largest lamented creature, Ruby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment